Monday, September 16, 2013

Goals

So I've decided to minimize the amount of possessions my family and I have, now what? I decided to sit and think about what I actually want out of this all in the end. I ended up with 5 big main goals that I'm shooting for with this whole experience.

My Goals:
1. Less housework.
-I'm horrid at getting housework done. I'm one that I let things pile up for several days than kick myself for not just doing things more often. And I mean really, logically if you have less clothing and dishes to get dirty they can't pile up into a massive overwhelming pile. It also means less things to dust and clean as well as less things to not get put away. So less housework. Who can't love that!
2. Everything having a home.
-We currently have just piles and piles of things that don't have a home anywhere in this house. So where do they go? On the table, counter, a shelf, in a box or basket, a drawer, pretty much anywhere I can find. Which really makes for a fun time when you are trying to find that one item that you know is this one location but who knows where in the rubble. 
3. Spend less money.
-Weird one to think about, but really it makes sense. If you minimize things down and realize how few possessions you really need to live, you will not only redefine your definition of  the word "need", you will buy based on this new definition. I know I've spent my fair share of money on things that I "needed" or thought it would be so neat or helpful to have and... well... it just kinda sat there. We've all done it, we aren't proud of it. But we've been brainwashed into thinking more things are better and that we need to have this, this and that to make our lives easier and to make us happy. Which really isn't true. 
4. To buy things I really love!
-When I do shop for things I want to not buy the cheapest I find at Wal-Mart but to buy something I really love! Preferably something from a small business and handmade if at all possible. I love supporting artisans, being one myself. And you just can't beat the beauty of a handmade ceramic bowl, a hand embossed leather journal, a homemade soap, or how about a handmade quilt or blanket. They are the most wonderful things to fill your home with. I frankly hate all the plastic mass produced crap that seems to just make it's way into my house because it's cheep and I can only afford it if it's cheap because I buy to much unnecessary stuff anyway. A cycle I would love to stop. 
5. To make my house more healthy.
-This one is personal for me and something that would not just be a result of the decluttering. I'm pretty much a hippy environmentalist. I hate having so many chemicals in my house. I love organic local produce. I can't stand all the plastic, which most of it is made from oil and lots of chemicals. So basically, my hope is to start off with eliminating as much of the chemical filled cleaning supplies and body care items, which are bad for our bodies and for the environment, and not let anything that isn't natural back into my house. I also want to try and get away from plastic where I can, especially in the kitchen. If there is a better for the environment alternative available I'm going to go for it.

What I love about these goals are that if I'm successful with any of 1-3 it'll really help my stress levels, and 4-5 would just bring me some major peace of mind.

There is one other goal I didn't mention. And that is how much stuff do I really want to get rid of? Well, that is kind of a hard question. Because there are some things that we aren't really going to get down to the minimum but more just a thorough weeding down and making manageable, like my craft stuff and our renaissance faire garb. And we don't get rid of books unless it's unreadable by either being just that bad or having been damaged that badly. But when it comes to most everything else, I'm shooting for anywhere between 50-90% of each category of items to be leaving this house. Yes, that's a lot of stuff to get rid of, I definitely have my work cut out for me. Guess it's good I have a game plan, which I'll share next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment